Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Thoughts on Firsts

Isaiah and Mom at yesterday's family reunion
(Isaiah forcing his cheeks to refrain from smiling)

Caleb, looking quite professor-ish, pointing to a bug on the outside of the window

Welcome to Second Thoughts...where today we will discuss "firsts"!!

I get to write this afternoon because Caleb is napping and Isaiah is enjoying (I hope!) his first day back to preschool. I don't have a picture of that, regretfully. I tried to take one before we left, but Isaiah asked if we could just take it when we get to school. Not wanting to rock the pleasantly steady boat, I agreed. As we walked into the building, he declined any photo opportunity there as well. He said we'll just take the picture when we get home after school. Ha.
This year, I did not cry. Last year, he did not cling. He was however, quite proud to show
Miss M. his homework, a ginger-bread-man-style outline filled in with glued-on items that describe my eldest. At that point I was glad he had been assigned this project at Meet The Teacher day last week.
I broke the cling and left the room, wanting so much to stay awhile and watch. I passed another mother in the hall, her eyes red and watery. I hugged her in my imagination as Caleb and I whisked ourselves off to our first afternoon date.
Caleb has had some of his own firsts this week. The boy who lay so still in an isolette for months is now on the move! He started crawling Friday night and has been wrecking his brother's GeoTrax train layout ever since. Oops, but YAY!
Yesterday Aunt Beth found Caleb's first tooth when he chomped her finger. Ouch, but YAY!
These firsts are coming at me fast. I'm so thankful they are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment