The boys and I are participating in summer reading club at the library. This year's theme is "Get A Clue...Read". We each have a game board with dots to color in when we read, attend story time or complete an online activity. Let's just say this version of summer reading club is a little more advanced than what we did when I was a kiddo. I'll never forget the time Mom tried to sign up my sister but the librarian said she wasn't old enough. That's probably why I was a little surprised to receive a game board for Caleb. He looks at books and listens when I read to him, pointing to the pictures and turning pages. These are basic fundamentals of reading. Yes, everyone should be able to participate in summer reading club.
After each story time, everyone gets a stamper on their hand and a coloring sheet (artwork by Isaiah).
And hey, don't forget the prizes! The boys have earned bookmarks, Highlights magazines, coupons to local events and restaurants and entries for a bike raffle. When they finish, they'll receive a special backpack. The final prize for the adults is a Panera gift card. Can't beat that! Keep on reading!“Books fall open, you fall in,
delighted where you’ve never been;
hear voices not once heard before,
reach world on world through door on door;
find unexpected keys to things
locked up beyond imaginings.
What might you be, perhaps become,
What might you be, perhaps become,
because one book is somewhere?
Some wise delver into wisdom, wit,
Some wise delver into wisdom, wit,
and wherewithal has written it.
True books will venture, dare you out,
True books will venture, dare you out,
whisper secrets, maybe shout
across the gloom to you in need,
who hanker for a book to read.”
~ David McCord
As the aforementioned sister in the above blog entry, might I add the rejection, dismay and downright, full-fledged insecurities my being banned from the book club caused. I needn't have apologized for being an advanced reader at the age of 5. God bless my sister for sharing her books with me and to mom for reading to me anyway...without them, left to the library alone, I may have been illiterate!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for doing so many fun things with the kiddos. Making memories every day.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a pretty awesome summer reading program. My oldest devours books but my 8 year old has a hard time getting excited over them. Maybe some activities similar to the ones you mentioned would help.
ReplyDeleteAunt Addie wants a new post before she leaves for vacation!
ReplyDelete